Islamic State terror group has claimed responsibility for the UK attack that claimed 22 people including youngsters and children attending a concert in Manchester.
Latest reports from Manchester, where a suspected suicide bomber attacked the Ariana Grande Concert late on Monday evening, have revealed that the number of victims has risen to 22, up from 19 earlier reported with additional nine to the injured 50.
Saharareporters learnt that it was the deadliest attack on British soil since the 2005 London bombings, even as the British Prime Minister Theresa May, who chaired an emergency Cabinet meeting on Tuesday, described the incident as “appalling terrorist attack”…
According to the Greater Manchester Police, a man carrying explosives and who acted as a lone attacker had died in the blast that shook part of the concert arena as spectators streamed out of the venue in terrifying conditions.
Eyewitnesses said children and parents frantically tried to locate one another at the incident scene where lots of people were seeing scampering to safety.
Greater Manchester Police Chief, Constable Ian Hopkins, said on Tuesday morning that children were among the dead, adding that the victims had been taken to eight hospitals.
“We are looking at this as a terrorist incident, just as we believe at this stage that the attack was carried out by one man,” Hopkins said.
“Emergency services are responding to a serious incident at Manchester Arena. Avoid the area. More details will follow as soon as available,” the Manchester police had earlier tweeted on Monday night to calm tension in and around the explosion’s epicenter.
Saharareporters also learned that as many as 400 police personnel were deployed in Manchester, amidst a heavy armed police presence in parts of the city, particularly outside the Royal Infirmary Hospital where several of the victims were admitted.
As early as 8 a.m. on Tuesday, there had been terror alert around London which witnessed a heavy security presence.
Meanwhile, world leaders have expressed anger and dismay against the Manchester terror attack which has again brought world security into focus.
US President, Donald Trump, who lately visited Saudi Arabia and Israel, has condemned the attack, calling the terrorists “losers.”
“I extend my deepest condolences to those so terribly injured in this terrorist attack and to the many killed and the families of the victims. We stand in absolute solidarity with the people of the United Kingdom,” Trump said, as a US Department of Homeland Security statement also said it was monitoring the situation “closely.”
Russian President, Vladimir Putin, promised to ensure closer intelligence ties with Britain.
In a Kremlin statement, Putin said: “We firmly condemn this cynical, inhuman crime. We expect that those behind it will not escape the punishment they deserve.”
German Chancellor, Angela Merkel, expressed shock and sorrow, saying: “This suspected terrorist attack will only strengthen our resolve to continue to work together with our British friends against those who plan and carry out such inhumane deeds.”
French President, Emmanuel Macron, also tweeted: “I send my thoughts to the British people, the victims, and their loved ones. We will fight against terrorism together.”
Canadian Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, tweeted: “Canadians are shocked by the news of the horrific attack in Manchester on Monday night. The victims and their families are in our thoughts.”
Spanish Prime Minister, Mariano Rajoy, said: “I condemn the Manchester attack. My regret to the families of the deceased victims and my desire for a speedy recovery to the wounded.”
Australian Prime Minister, Malcolm Turnbull, also told the country’s Parliament on Tuesday that the incident was a “brutal attack on young people everywhere”.
The Indian and Japanese governments have also reacted, declaring solidarity with the government and people of Britain.
For a better society