Abuja-Kaduna road is now safe for travellers as it has been rid of criminal elements especially kidnappers and bandits, Governor, Nasir el Rufai has insisted.
The governor spoke to State House correspondents Monday after a closed door meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
According to him, with the current security system in place,people should be confident to drive on the Abuja-Kaduna road without any fear.
He said “I came to see Mr President to brief him on the general security situation in Kaduna which I do from time to time and also to update him on the various initiatives by the Inspector General of Police (IGP), the SSS, and the Army Forces with a view to improving the security situation in Kaduna in general and particularly along the Abuja-Kaduna road.
“I want to say that the initiatives put in place have made the road quite safe now. I can say confidently that anyone get in that road because I don’t want to go into details of the measures that have already been put in place but I am confidence with the security system in place now that people can be confident to drive on the Abuja-Kaduna road without any fear.
On claims by the senate describing the Kaduna-Abuja express way as the most dangerous highway in Africa, El- Rufai accused the lawmakers of playing to the gallery.
“If you believe everything that comes out of the Nigerian senate, you will have serious mental health problems. There are things that are said there that are just for the gallery, for the media. I don’t know what statistics that were used to determine that the Kaduna-Abuja road is the most dangerous anywhere.
“I like facts, I like using figures. I wish the people that said that would use figures. But I am saying that no matter what anyone said, last week, I am assuring Nigerians that the Kaduna -Abuja road is quite safe now and would be so long as the initiates put in place by the various security agencies, details of which I am not willing to disclose.
“Only God can guarantee total safety. But I am saying as the governor of the state based on the security measures put in place, I am confidence that the road is safe and I drive on that road.
On his dispute with the National Leader of the APC, Chief Bola Ahmed Tinubu, the governor said, there is no dispute between him and anyone in the APC saying the APC is one family.
According to him” I don’t dispute with my own party. They may dispute with me but I don’t. I made comments Lagos about how to retire godfathers, it’s a template that we have used in Kaduna and it has worked. If anybody thinks he is a go-father, the template may apply to him but I am not in dispute with anyone.
“I expressed my views firmly and very clearly, there is no human being that I am afraid to express my views on, and when I am ready to express my views specifically on a particular name then I will do so but i havent.
“I made a general statement but people have gone in to overdrive, creating fake news, abusing me and so on. I am thick-skin, I can take the abuse and I will wait for my time when I want to.
When asked if he is in good term with Sen Tinubu, he said ” We are in the same party, we get along very well as I know.
On whether he wants Tinubu retired, he said” I dont know if he is the godfather of Lagos, it’s up to him to say that. What I know for sure is that we have retired God-fathers in Kaduna and I have told those that asked me the question that ‘there are six million registered voters in Lagos but only one million voted,’ in the last election.
For a better society