Sunday Ode, Abuja
The Federal Executive Council (FEC) has set up a ministerial committee to investigate the earth tremor that rocked Abuja last Thursday.
Minister of Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Muhammad Bello, while briefing newsmen on the outcome of the weekly FEC meeting listed: FCT, Science and Technology, Power, Works and Housing and Steel Development as ministries that made up the committee.
Bello assured that there is no cause for concern as preliminary investigation showed that the tremor was mild as experts said Nigeria was not prone to earthquake disaster, emphasising that the development cannot result in wild tremor.
He said: “There was a movement called tremor but it was very mild. Preliminary investigations showed that it was mild in Mpape from where it spread to other parts of Abuja. It was very mild. There was no cause for concern. Experts informed us that Abuja didn’t fall into geological areas that can lead to tremor. The council set up a ministerial committee consisting of the Ministry of Science and Technology, Power, Works and Housing, Mines and Solid Minerals and FCT to look into the situation.”
The minister also said mining activities and blasting of rocks in Mpape had so far been suspended until the conclusion of investigation.
He, however, noted that preliminary investigation into the development revealed that the tremor was not caused by mining activities and rock blasting in Mpape.
For a better society