Sunday, September 23, 2018
Home Sports Football

Dom Dwyer: England-born striker joins Orlando City in record-breaking MLS deal

England-born striker Dom Dwyer, who was released by Norwich City as a schoolboy, has joined Orlando City in a record-breaking Major League Soccer deal. Dwyer, 26, has been traded to Orlando by Sporting Kansas City in a deal that could reach $1.6m (£1.2m).

Major League Soccer operates under a structure in which player contracts are owned by the league.
“Dom is a fantastic player,” Orlando City chief executive Alex Leitao said.
The MLS sets funds to enable clubs to trade players between themselves.

Dwyer, who played non-League football for Staines Town and King’s Lynn before moving to the United States in 2009, was traded for $400,000 (£306,000) in general allocation money, $500,000 (£383,000) in targeted allocation money, and $700,000 (£536,000) in future allocation money based on performance.

That combined total tops the previous MLS record set in January when Orlando traded Kevin Molino to Minnesota United for $450,000 (£344,000) in general allocation money and $200,000 (£153,000) in targeted allocation money.

Dwyer, who was born in Cuckfield, Sussex, became a US citizen in March.

He scored 19 minutes into his international debut for the USA in a 2-1 friendly win over Ghana in Connecticut on 1 July.

For a better society

Roma beat Spurs in five-goal thriller

Roma withstood a dramatic, late Tottenham comeback to send the Premier League team to their first defeat of this pre-season in a bad-tempered affair which ended 3-2 in remarkable fashion. Tackles were flying in all over the pitch and Spurs manager Mauricio Pochettino was livid with match officials in the second half, although much of his anger would have been directed at his players who badly under-performed at Red Bull Arena.

Real Madrid announce Ronaldo transfer to Juventus

Ending weeks of speculation about his future, Cristiano Ronaldo has told a Spanish newspaper he is staying put at Real Madrid to plunder more silverware.”To win important trophies with my club and the personal honours last season was brilliant, to do it again would be nice,” Ronaldo told the sports daily Marca on Tuesday in an interview from Shanghai.Ronaldo’s declaration of intent to remain at the Bernabeu for the upcoming season comes despite rumours of his departure which surfaced last month in Portuguese newspaper O Globo.

Kenedy: Brazilian sent home from pre-season tour after social media row

Chelsea have sent Kenedy home from their pre-season tour following the Brazilian’s social media comments before a match in China.The club had “solemnly and sincerely” apologised after fans accused the 21-year-old of xenophobia and racism.He made the comments in Instagram posts before a 3-0 pre-season win over Arsenal, during which fans booed him. Kenedy later apologised but will now play no further part in the tour and has returned to the UK.

Translate »
%d bloggers like this: