Cristiano Ronaldo has said he hopes “the battle with Lionel Messi continues”, after he equalled the Argentine’s record of five Ballon d’Or awards on Thursday night.The 32-year-old was named the winner of France Football’s prestigious award at a ceremony in Paris on Thursday.
Ronaldo had previously won the award in 2008, 2013, 2014 and 2016 respectively.Speaking shortly after he was announced winner, the Real Madrid forward said, “I feel very happy, it’s a fantastic moment in my career, I’ve been waiting for this for a long time.
“This year has been great, we won the Champions League and LaLiga and, on a personal level, I was a top scorer in the Champions League.‘Trophies help win these awards and we have to thank my colleagues from Madrid and Portugal, it was very important for me.
“I hope to play at this level for a few more years, I hope the battle with Messi continues, things happen for a reason.“I feel good this season and we’ll see what we win at the end of the year.“Neymar has a lot of talent, a lot of potential, and I’m sure he’ll have some chance to win in the future,” he said.
For a better society