AMAECHI PERCY ONYEJEKWE, Awka
Nnobi, in Idemili South Local government Area of Anambra state was thrown into confusion, yesterday when a middle aged man slumped and died in a beer parlour in the town. It was gathered that the man identified as Ugochukwu Omeh slumped at the beer palour located close to Umeh junction, off Nnobi- Nnewi Road at 12.05 pm, on Thursday.
Omeh, a driver attached to Globis Motor, Nnewi Branch father of three children was said to have gone to the beer parlour popularly known as Mama John -Paul’s Gin Parlour to take a shot of dry gin when he met his untimely death after taking the gin.
According to eyewitnesses, the deceased, shortly after imbibing the gin started breathing spasmodically, shaking and speaking incoherently and started vomiting blood before he eventually slumped and died.
When Daily Champion reached the scene of the incident the body of the deceased has been removed while sympathizers stood in groups discussing the matter.
Family members of the deceased confirmed the story adding that circumstances surrounding the death of Mr Omeh suggested that the gin was poisoned.
The wife of the deceased, Mrs Ngozika Omeh lamented the death of her dear husband stressing that her husband was allegedly poisoned at the beer palour said to be owned and ran by a woman identified as Mama John-Paul.
“It is not a hidden thing. My husband always drinks in that Mama John Paul’s Place. Under the surrounding circumstances he died of poisoned drink. He vomited blood before he slumped and died. His body has been deposited at the mortuary. But we have left the mater to God”, Mrs Omeh lamented.
In a similar incident ,what appeared at first as a joke turned out disastrous in Afor Nnobi market on Thursday, when a young woman of 21 years old slumped during a dry gin drinking competition.
According to sources, the woman identified as Chizaram slumped and started vomiting after taking the twelfth bottle of the hot drink.
It was learnt that the woman had boasted that a woman could do what a man could , even better, before joining the competition against the warning of some of her friends in the market.
Chizaram,a shoe seller in the market was said to have joined the competition after the sum of three thousand naira had been deposited for any body who won the competition by drinking twelve short bottles of branded dry gin.
To prove her worth she was said to have drank the twelve bottle content of the dry gin in quick succession to the admiration of a cheering crowd which quickly dispersed when she slumped.
When our correspondent reached the scene of the incident, the woman was being carried into a Keke NAPEP tricycle to the hospital.
When contacted the Anambra State Commissioner of Police Mr Sam Okaula, who described the two incidents as sad, warned that the police command would raid unlicensed liquor houses in the state, advising drinkers to stop taking illicit drink.
CP Okaula, however, said that the police command had not received report of the incidents at the time of this report, adding that he would contact the DPO of Nnobi Police Station with a view to investigating the incident at the beer parlour.
“We have not received any report of the incident. However, we will investigate the incident. People should report to us of the existence of illegal unlicensed liquor houses. We will raid them and arrest their operators”, Okaula warned.
For a better Society